Telephone: 25310 39476
RESEARCH AND TEACHING SUBJECT:
Modern and Contemporary Greek History
The Greek War of Independence and issue of state-building, political developments and diplomacy, Great Idea and the Greek nationalism, Social History, development of Greek family and family networks, Greek economy, family business, marketing system and the contribution of Greek diaspora networks in distribution of Greek products abroad, Citizenship, national identity and formation of civil society, Diaspora-homeland relations, migration and return migration.
For further details, click here for course catalogue in English.
1. Theory and Methodology of History (55ΑΥ1)
2. Introduction to Early Modern and Contemporary Hellenism (55ΔΥ1)
3. History of the Greek State during the 19th and 20th Centuries (55ΥΕΙ5)
4. History of the Greek Diaspora (19th – 20th Centuries) (55ΕΠΕΖ46)
2003 PhD in Modern Greek History, Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
1998 MA in Modern Greek History, Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
1994 BA, Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Since 2013 Assistant Professor in Modern Greek History, Department of History and Ethnology, School of Classics and Humanities Studies, Democritus University of Thrace
Since 2008 Lecturer in Modern Greek History, Department of History and Ethnology, School of Classics and Humanities Studies, Democritus University of Thrace
Since 2005 Tutor/Advisor: Greek History, School of Humanities, Hellenic Cultural Studies, Hellenic Open University
2003-2007 Tutor (P.D. 407/80), Department of Journalism and Mass Media, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
2004-2007 Tutor (P.D. 407/80), Department of History and Ethnology, Democritus University of Thrace
2003-2008 Research Associate at the Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive
2001-2003 Research Associate at the Institute for Balkan Studies
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
1. 2010 Metaxa, the Genuine Story: The Development of a Greek family industry, Athens: Livanis, 2010 (in Greek)
2. 2007 “Greek by descent”: National Identity and Citizenship in Modern Greece , 1821-1844 , Heraklion: Crete University Press (in Greek)
3. 2005 Works and the Days of Greek Families, 1750-1940 , Athens: ELIA (in Greek)
4. 2011 (with an introduction) (Filimon Peonidis & Elpida Vogli eds) Anastasios Polyzoides: Texts on Democracy (1824-1825), Athens, Okto: 2011 (in Greek)
5. 2006 James Joll, Europe since 1870, Thessaloniki, Vanias.
6. 1998 ‘ A European Regime ’: Views on the Government of the Greek State from 1789 to 1828 , M.A. Thesis, Department of History and Archaeology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (183 pp. )
1. (forthcoming) «The Returning Migrants and their [Re]integration in Interwar Greece», in the proceedings of the conference «New approaches to Interwar Greek Society (1922-1940)» (14-16 January 2011, University of Athens) (in Greek)
2. (forthcoming) “The Greeks and the foreigners: Greek Citizenship under the Challenges of Otherness”, in the proceedings of the conference “Cultural diversity, Citizenhood and Democracy: Experiences, Strategies and Perspectives» (University of Athens, 7-8 May 2010) (in Greek)
3. (forthcoming) «Between the old Greece and the post Balkan Wars Great Hellas: The integration of Thessaloniki (1912-1930)», in the proceedings of the international conference “Thessaloniki: A City in Transition, 1912-2012” (Thessaloniki, 18-21 October 2012).
4. (forthcoming) “‘We all hope for the Greeks now’ How did Philhellenes envisage the formation of the Greek Nation State and its Economic Development during the War of Independence?” in the proceedings of the international conference “Foreigners interested in Greece since 1821” (Arta, 5-7 July 2013)
5. 2013 «The ‘Greek Home-coming Year’ (1951): Greek Diaspora Policy in the beginning of the Cold War», in Lina Ventura and Lampros Baltsiotis (eds), The Nation Abroad: Greek Diaspora Policies, Athens: Vivliorama, p. 345-372 (in Greek).
6. 2012 « The Distillery of S. & E. & A. Metaxa Brothers of Piraeus: Business Organization and Marketing Strategy of a Greek industry (1888-1940)», in “New Perspectives in Theory and Empirical Research. Proceedings of the international conference of the Economic and Social History Rethymno, Crete 10-13 December 2008”, Athens: Alexandreia, p. 171-187 (in Greek).
7. 2011 “Greek Diaspora Policy during the first half of the 20th century”, in M. Rossetto, M. Tsianikas, G. Couvalis and M. Palaktsoglou (eds),Greek Research in Australia: Proceedings of the Eighth Biennial International Conference of Greek Studies, Flinders University June 2009, Flinders University Department of Languages-Modern Greek: Adelaide, South Australia , pp. 661-671. (in Greek)
The article is available at:
8. 2011 (Jan.-March) “The Making of Greece Abroad: Continuity and Change in the Modern Diaspora Politics of a “Historical” Irredentist Homeland”, in Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 17.1, pp. 14-33.
9. 2010 “The Greek nation and the Greek diaspora in Konstantinos Tsatsos’ political thought”, in theProceedings of the International Scientific Conference “Konstantinos Tsatsos, the philosopher, the writer, the politician” (Athens, 6-8 November 2009), Granada-Athens: Centro de Estudios Byzantinos, Neogriegos y Chipriotas, The Society of Konstantinos Tsatsos’ Friends, pp. 667-682. (in Greek)
10. 2010 “The Greek War of Independence and the Emergence of a Modern Nation-State in Southeastern Europe (1821-1827)”, in Plamen Mitev, Ivan Parvev, Maria Baramova και Vania Racheva (eds), Empires and Peninsulas. Southeastern Europe between Karlowitz and the Peace of Adrianople, 1699-1829, Berlin, LIT Verlag, pp. 191-201.
11. 2009 “Incorporation Strategies towards Greek Repatriate Groups in Contemporary Greece (1990-2006)”, in Μiltos Pavlou & Αthina Skoulariki (eds.), Immigrants and Minorities: Discourse and Policies, Athens: Vivliorama, pp. 353-396 (in Greek, with Harris Mylonas)
The article is available at: http://home.gwu.edu/~mylonas/KEMO.pdf
12. 2009 “A Greece for Greeks by descent? Nineteenth-Century Policy on Integrating the Greek Diaspora”, in Dimitris Tziovas (ed.), Greek Diaspora and Migration since 1700. Society, Politics and Culture, Surrey: Ashgate, pp. 99-110.
13. 2009 “The great Greek nation vs. a small Greece: Identity and Citizenship in 19th century Greece”, Istor 15, pp. 117-147 (in Greek)
14. 2009 “The Greek State, 1889-1896: the period and its chief characteristics», in Evangelos Livieratos, Cartographic Adventures of Greece, 1821-1919, Athens: ELIA, pp. 213-226 (in Greek)
15. 2008 «Eastern Macedonia: From its annexation to the Greek state to the Bulgarian Occupation, from the Coming of the Refugees to the outbreak of the Second World War (1912-1940)”, Eastern Macedonia, Komotini: Region of Eastern Macedonia-Thrace, 2008, pp. 254-276. (in Greek)
1 6 . 2008 “Family Tactics and Family Fortunes in Nineteenth-Century Greece”, in Ionela Băluţă, Constanţa Vintinlă-Ghiţulescu και Mihai-Răzvan Ungureanu (eds), Social Behaviour and Family Strategies in the Balkans (16th – 20th Centuries), Βucharest: New Europe College, 2008, pp. 180-204.
17. 2007 “Greek women scientists. Images in women’s magazines of the Greek Literary and Historical Archive”, in Sasa Lada (ed.),Scientist in the picture Greece, 1900-1980: Situated Identities―Identities of S ites , Thessaloniki: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki & Thessaloniki Museum of Photography, pp. 93-111. (in Greek)
18. 2006 “The ‘Municipal Affair’ of Thessaloniki and the Interwar Greek politics (1919-1933)”, in M. Girtzi, D. Drakoulis, A. Bountidou (eds.), Institutions and Local Government in Thessaloniki – diachronically, (Proceedings of International Conference, Thessaloniki, 24-25 November 2005), Thessaloniki: Thessaloniki History Center, Municipality of Thessaloniki, pp. 48-52. (in Greek)
19. 2006 «The European Context of the Greek Great Idea: The suggestions of a Greek Newspaper of London [Vretanikos Astir (The British Star), 1860-1862)”, in the Proceedings of the 26th Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 28-29 May 2005), Thessaloniki, pp. 143-154 (in Greek)
20.2006 “The Dawn of independence: from the Battle of Navarino to Kapodistrias’ Greece”, History of the Greeks, v. 9: The Greek Revolution, Athens, Domi A .E, Tegopoulos-Maniateas, pp. 566-605 (in Greek)
21.2006 “Citizenship and the Emergent Greek Civil Society, 1821-1827”, in History of the Greeks, v. 9: The Greek Revolution, Athens, Domi A.E, Tegopoulos-Maniateas, pp. 606-631 (in Greek)
22. 2006 “The Modern Greek state: Diplomatic and political events from 1830-1832”, in History of the Greeks, v. 9:The Greek Revolution, Athens, Domi A.E , Tegopoulos-Maniateas, pp. 632-653 (in Greek)
23. 2005 “National Dilemmas Resulting from Greek Migration Abroad and the Need for a National Migratory Policy in the Beginning of the 20th Century”, in the Proceedings of the 23rd Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 21-23 Μay 2004), Thessaloniki, pp. 413-425 (in Greek)
24. 2005 “Greek Public Opinion and National Issues: The Homogeneis and the ‘Different Faces’ of Hellenism in Modern Greek Newspapers”, in Christos A. Fragonikolopoulos (ed.), Mass Media, Society and Politics in Modern Greece, Athens, publ. Ι. Sideri (Journalism and Mass Media), pp. 381-396 (in Greek)
25. 2004 “Authentic or Recent Greeks and Foreigners: The Formation of Greek Civil Society, 1821-1856”, in theProceedings of the 24th Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 30 Μay-1 June 2003), Thessaloniki, pp. 227-242 (in Greek)
26. 2004 «Pursuing the ‘Revival’ of the Old Homelands: The Identity of the Refugees Kalamariotes since 1940», in Kalamaria’s History (1940-1967). From the Struggle for Survival to the Creative Days, Thessaloniki 2004 (in Greek)
27. 2003 “Refugees and Migrants in Greece during the first half of the 19th century”, in the Proceedings of the 23rd Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 24-26 Μay 2002), Thessaloniki, pp. 275-294 (in Greek)
28. 2003 «A Comprehensive Review of the Eastern Question (19th cent.): The Concern about Turkey’s dominions in Europe”, in Evangelos Livieratos (ed), Map Sheets of Northern Greece. The first mapping. Late 19th - Early 20th century, Thessaloniki: National Map Library:, 2003, pp. 15-20 (in Greek)
29. 2002 “Political sovereignty of the nation and the Church: Discussion on the identity of the Greeks”, in the Proceedings of the 22nd Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 25-27 May 2001), Thessaloniki, pp. 277-299 (in Greek)
30. 2002 “‘Paupers’ and ‘indigents’ in the town of Thessaloniki (1912-1941)», Thessaloniki: Scientific Yearbook of the Thessaloniki History Center, Municipality of Thessaloniki 6 (2002), pp. 247-260 (in Greek)
31.2001 «Defining the Citizens of the ‘resurgent’ Greece: Greek Citizenship requirements during the War of Independence, 1821-1828», in the Proceedings of the 21st Hellenic Historical Conference, (Thessaloniki, 27-28 May 2000), Thessaloniki, pp. 113-130 (in Greek)
32.1999 “‘A European Regime’: Views on the Government of the Greek State during the War of Independence (1821-1828)”, Ellinika 49.2, pp. 347-365. (in Greek)
1. 2013 ( February ) “ Greeks are… The Institution of Greek Citizenship since its first appearance during the Greek Revolution», in History (newspaper Ethnos), v. 5, pp. 52-58.
2. 2011 ( October ) «The Greek Kingdom and the Greeks of Asia Minor: when King Otto visited suddenly Smyrna (1833)», in Art. Psaromiligos and Vasiliki Lazou, History of the Asia Minor, vol. 5: (1821-1919), Αθήνα, publ. Tegopoulos/Eleutherotypia: pp. 73-90.
3. 2011 ( April ) “Greece during the Great Depression (1873-1896)”, in E-Istorika (newspaper Eleutherotypia): 1893-1912. From Bankruptcy to Recovery, pp. 9-46.
4. 2011 ( January ) «The Greek Kingdom under the Great Powers’ protection: From the War of Independence to Don Pacifico Affair», in E-Istorika (Eleutherotypia): Don Pacifico Affair, the British Blockade of Piraeus in the 1850s (Parkerika) and the International Humiliation of Greece, pp. 37-68.
5. 2005 “Women’s Magazines and Newspapers: The Role of Women in the Post World War Greece (1945-1950)”, Panselinos no 321/newspaper Macedonia, 30 October 2005.
6. 2003 “The Incorporation of the Hellenic Literary and Historical Archive in Local Community: Intentions and Future Prospects”, in the Proceedings of the International Conference “Academic Libraries: Expanding the Frontiers” (Serres, 12-14 Nov. 2003), Serres pp. 459-467. The paper is available at:
7. 2001 «Greek Family and Greek Society (19th and 20th cent.)”, The E.L.I .A News 59 (winter 2001), pp. 22-28.
8. 2000 Book review: George A. Siorokas, The Foreign Policy of Ali Pasha: From Tilsit to Vienna (1807-1815), Ioannina 1999, Ellinika 50.2, pp. 399-403.
Papers Presented at International Conferences (no proceedings )
1) 2013 “How did the Greek Society Experienced the Global Financial Crisis of the Late 19th Century (1873-1896)». Invited speaker. International Symposium: «Hochschuldialog mit Südeuropa. Forschen in der Krise», Germersheim, Universität Mainz, 6 December 2013.
2) 2013 «Greece Between its ‘Old’ and ‘New’ Diasporas in the Nineteenth Century». International Conference: «The status of Minorities in the Balkans, 1814-1914”, Bucharest, 8-9 November 2013.
2) 2013 «The Greeks Abroad as a Target of Ioannis Metaxas’ Propaganda: Strenghtening Homeland-Diaspora ties». International Conference: «The Dictatorship of 4th August and the Greek Society. Was it a Fascist Experiment?», Athens, Panteion University, 27-28 September 2013 (in Greek)
3) 2013 “Comparing the strategic importance of Kilkis than that of Bizanio: Greek Irredentism, Balkan Wars and the Efforts for Remapping the European Turkey”. Conference: «The Battle of Kilkis and the Second Balkan War», Kilkis, 19-20 June 2013.
4) 2013 «Pursuing the Exploitation of the Greek Mineral Resources or Waging ‘an Undeclared Business Interests’ War’; Political Scandals and Technological Failures of the Greek Mining Industry». Greek Conference of History and Technology, Athens, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 28-30 March 2013.
5) 2012 “Citizenship and State-building in the Nineteenth Century Balkans: Greece as a Test Case”. International Conference: “Balkan Worlds: Ottoman Past and Balkan Nationalism” (Thessaloniki, University of Macedonia, 4-7 October 2012).
6) 2011 “Defining otherness or defending the myths of Greekness in Contemporary Greece”. International Conference: “Myths of the Other in the Balkans. Representations, Social Practices and Performances, (Thessaloniki, University of Macedonia, 24-26 February 2011.
7) 2011 “One Nation, One Citizenship: Irredentism and Citizenship during the Unification of Greece (1821-1947)”. 8th European Social Science History Conference (ESSHC), Ghent, Belgium (12 - 16 April 2010.
8) 2010 “The historical turning points in homeland-diaspora relations: The Greek Case in the 19th-20th century”. Research Workshop: ‘Diaspora and Citizenship: European and Asian Perspectives’, University of Manchester, 15 January 2010.
9) 2009 “1951, ‘Greek Home-Coming year’: Greek Diaspora Politics in the 1950s”. 21st Biennial International Symposium of the Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA) (coordinated by the Hellenic Studies Program at Simon Fraser University), Vancouver, Canada, 17-19 October 2009.
10) 2007 “Between Diplomacy and Greek Irredentist Policy: The Island of Thasos in the 19th century”. Paper presented at the 5 th Symposium Concerning the History of Thasos, organized by Democritus University of Thrace, the Municipality of Thasos and the Society of Thasian Studies, Thasos 22-25 September 2007.
11) 2007 “Women and Political Citizenship in Modern Greece”. International conference: Women and Citizenship in a Local /Global World (ISA) Research Committee on Women in Society (RC32), Athens, 31 May-1 June 2007.
12) 2006 “In Pursuit of the Urban Modernization: The Arguments of Venizelos’ Followers in the Interwar Serres”. International conference: Serres and its Region: from the Ottoman Conquest to the Modern Time, Serres 6-9 April 2006.
13) 2001 “Citizenship and Representation in Nineteenth-century Greece”. International Workshop: Traditions of Liberty in the Balkans, Center for Democracy and Reconciliation in Southeast Europe, Ouranoupoli, Halkidiki Greece, 21-23 September 2001.
14) 2000 “Hellenes by Descent: Citizenship and Identity in Modern Greece, 1821-1856”. Junior Scholars’ Workshop, Center for Democracy and Reconciliation in Southeast Europe, Kassandra, Halkidiki Greece, 6-8 October 2000.
15) 2000 “Refugees and the Question of Citizenship in Insurgent Greece, 1821-1832”. International Workshop: Migration in the Balkans: Conflict and Integration, Center for Democracy and Reconciliation in Southeast Europe, Thessaloniki, 12-13 May 2000.
Lectures and General Activities
1. 2013 « ‘The existence of the Great Idea is a necessity … but is it feasible to be implemented? Rethinking Thrace as an Integral Part of the Imaginary Great Hellas». Lecture given at the Symposium of the Thracian Club in Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 27 February 2013.
2. 2012 « ‘Talking about the Greek domain’: Thrace’s Representations in the Greek Irredentist Imagination before and During the Balkan Wars». Lecture given at the Symposium of the Panthracian Association of Southern Greece «A Century since the Outbreak of the Balkan Wars – Thracian Greeks Under Persecution», Athens [at The Old Parliament Building], 15 December 2012.
3. 2006 « From the rum millet to the nation state: Greek Citizenship during the War of Independence”. Lecture at the Postgraduate Programme of Studies, University of Macedonia, Τετάρτη 11 Ιανουαρίου 2006 (in Greek).
4. 2004 «Venizelists, Anti-venizelists and the ‘Municipal Affair’ of Thessaloniki: Political Competitions during the Mayoralty of Harisios Vamvakas (1931-1933)». Lecture given at the Thessaloniki History Center [‘Wednesdays in Thessaloniki History Center’], Wednesday 8 December 2004.
5. 2002 «Greece and the Greeks: From Ioannis Kapodistrias to King Otho and his Dethronement”. Lecture given at the 2002 Cycle Seminars on Modern History of the Municipality of Saint Anargyroi, Kastoria, Saturday 29 June 2002.
6. 2002 “‘Paupers’ and ‘indigents’ in the town of Thessaloniki (1912-1941)» Lecture given at the Thessaloniki History Center [‘Wednesdays in Thessaloniki History Center’], Wednesday 26 June 2002.
7. 2002 “Greek Historiography on Southeast Europe”. Within the framework of a round table discussion/ ‘New Approaches to the Comparative History of Southeastern Europe: Methodology and Sources’ organised by Southeastern European History Network Bucharestι, 14-15 June 2002.